"Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy.”
We all have a voice, but some of us can’t be heard. The Mission First Legal Aid Office was established by a partnership between the Mississippi College School of Law and Mission First. It speaks boldly by answering God’s call to seek justice and mercy through providing legal services and spiritual counsel to the underserved residents of Jackson whose household income is less than 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines. Justice speaks transformation - boldly!
THE LEGAL AID OFFICE:
- Provides legal services that include, but are not limited to, family law, consumer law, government benefit programs, housing and debtor/creditor issues;
- Employs three staff members and is led by director, Patti Gandy, MB #99162, formerly with Butler Snow law firm;
- Operates with approximately 200+ volunteer attorneys;
- Is funded in part by grants from the Mississippi Bar Association, the Interest on Lawyer Trust Account Program of the Mississippi Bar Foundation and The Christian Legal Society;
- Is an affiliate of Christian Legal Aid Ministries;
- Serves approximately 1200 people per year.
If you would like to request information to receive services from
our Legal Aid Office, please review the Eligibility Requirements
tab and click the Client Request tab on the right side of this page.
If you are a professional in the legal field and are interested in volunteering through
our office, please click the Volunteer In A Office tab on the right
side of this page.
To contact our Legal Aid Office, please call 601.608.0056